REASONS NOT TO RETURN AN ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIP
- Remember that it was the abusive behavior of your partner which caused you to leave in the first place. You were not happy in the relationship.
- He will continue to abuse you even if he promises you that he will never hit you again. The abuse will continue and it could get worse.
- Abusers seldom stop their abusive behavior unless they get some form of counseling or therapy. Don’t go back and expect him to change because he says he has changed. As soon as he gets comfortable with you being back he will start abusing you again.
- Abusers like to instill fear in their victims. He will try to make you so fearful of him that you are less likely to leave him.
- He may become more possessive and controlling and try t isolated you from your family and friends. He might start keeping tabs on you, watching you more closely for any sign that you might try to leave again.
- He will do everything within his power to make it impossible for you to leave again. He might even threaten to take your life.
- The most serious of all the reasons is that he may follow through on his threats. You may never get the chance to escape a second time with your life. Some abusers are prepared to take the lives of their victims and then their own. Don’t let this happen to you.
Once you get the chance to leave the relationship never return to an abusive partner no matter how persuasive he may be.