EMPOWERING WOMEN

Home » Stop Abuse of Women » Stop Abuse of Women

Stop Abuse of Women

Join 1,300 other followers

Instagram

What is Female Genital Mutilation

Female genital mutilation is a painful operation during which the female genitals are partial or entirely removed or injured.  The whole purpose of this operation is to inhibit the woman’s sexual desires.
There are three main types of female genital mutilation practiced, type 1, 2 and 3.
Type 1     The clitoral hood is removed and most time this is accompanied by the clitoris itself.
Type 2     This involves the removal of the clitoris and the inner labia.
Type 3     Removal of all or part of the inner and outer labia and usually the clitoris and the fusion of the wound leaving a small hole for the passage of
urine and menstrual blood.  The fused wound is opened for intercourse and childbirth.
Type one and two are more commonly practiced.

MyFreeCopyright.com

Advertisements

15 Comments

1. jalal michael sabbagh.http://gravatar.com/jmsabbagh86@gmail.com says:

Great topic ,it needs world wide attention .l have more than one article about the suffering of women all over the world for being treated like second class citizen..In the Middle – East the situation is yet worst .Abusing, honor killing, human trafficking.and enslavement.United Nation is a dead body will do nothing to help women.Only united voice of the women can make the real change.jalal

2. iamforchange says:

This is appalling even to think about yet to hear of such atrocities is almost surreal. I am in agreement with you that women of the world should stand together and the men should stand with them. How may I help?

• marvaseaton says:

Thanks for reading and for your comment. You can do your part by helping to spread awareness about the atrocities that are taking place because there are many people who are unaware that these thing are happening.

3. iamforchange says:

I chose to share your post in my unique way and share my thoughts as well I am going to do what I can to help and make people aware as well as ask them to take action. I am taking action as well and will add to the flame in my way and take action. I am but one however with many ones we are heard and felt as many. I wish I had the gifts to fix these evils and bring those to justice that would commit such evil acts.

4. renxkyoko says:

I’ve heard about the mutilation years and years ago. I didn’t understand what it was about ( I was in elementary ) then I heard about it again in HS. There was an outcry then, but I guess it still going on.

• marvaseaton says:

First I must say thank you for visiting my blog and commenting on the article. Unfortunately this abuse is still taking place and millions of women and girls are suffering as a result!

5. I grew up in the Arab world and had friends (girls) who belonged to communities where they practiced this. They don’t talk about it, ever, but accept it as a cultural thing. I always found it amazing how they would educate themselves to be doctors, engineers, etc. and say nothing against this practice!

• marvaseaton says:

First I want to say thank you for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment on the article. I do agree with you. It is time for the silence to be broken and have laws properly enforced that these abuse can come to an end. People also need to be educated about the horrifying consequences of FGM.

6. Just saw the reblog on Elana’s site and came right over here. Thank you for shining a light on this autrocity. I’m a health care provider, specializing in women’s health in California, and a woman’s advocate. Women need to unite to help women but men also need to step up and do what’s right for human rights and decency. I know I don’t need to preach to the choir here. Bless you. Paulette Mahurin (my blog site was set up for a book so my apologies I come here wearing that. I am now using it to connect with others.)

• marvaseaton says:

Thank you so much for reading the article and taking the time to respond. I think part of the problem has to do with the fact that many of us women are not as assertive as we should and men are allowed to get away with a lot of things. Many of these men do not have much respect for women.